February 29, 2012

I Want an Eames chair!

            The Recent Paterfamilias wants an Eames chair.  He really, really, really wants one.  (And it’s making him feel materialistic and superficial.)

            But please, let me explain. 

            I don’t want just any Eames chair.  I don’t want the Eames lounge chair with ottoman.  (In my small apartment, where would I put it?)  I don’t want the Eames molded plywood chair, in red or cowhide.  (Although, I do actually want that chair, in either red or cowhide, but I’d have to remove an already established piced furniture to find a spot for it.)  What I want is the Eames Molded Plastic Rocking Chair. 

            Do I want the Eames Molded Plastic Rocking Chair chair for its slim silhouette?  Do I want it for its comfortable “waterfall” seat edge?  Do I want it for its smooth-riding hard maple runners or its “Eames Eiffel base” or its eco-friendly polypropylene construction? 

            No. 

            I want it because the rocker I current have in my baby’s nursery is fourteen inches wider and twelve inches longer than the Eames Molded Plastic Rocking Chair.  In my apartment, space is at a premium, every inch counts, I will move furniture into slots where it barely fits (and I’m pretty sure I’ve seriously compromised the internal structure of my couch doing so), so to have a stupid gigantic rocking chair that has all this extra padding and extra width and extra girth for absolutely no reason is simply out of the question, and, quite frankly, a little crazy. 

             So, I want the slimmer Eames chair. 

            Plus, it might be a little nice (and a little superficial) to respond to the question, “Hey, is that an Eames chair?” with, “Why yes, it certainly is.”

            (And for all of my loyal readers who still recall my last column:  I went out and bought that Federalist convex mirror last week.  And I’m pleased to report that it looks rather nice above the bookcase over which it is currently situated.)  


*Eames Chair series print by Third Floor Design

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous08:09

    Pictures of the Mirror PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete