January 30, 2013

Decorating Trends You Wish Would Go Away


I came across this list on Shine from Yahoo.  It highlighted 10 decorating trends that should be over.  It was so random that it amused me, so I thought I would re-post and share.  Which ones are you "guilty" of? Which ones do you think are ridiculous?

1. Obvious Signage 
I don't know, I'm kind of a fan of this trend.  I still have intentions to do more of this in my studio space. 

2. Taxidermy
I've never been a fan of this trend.  Some of the fake heads are cute, but for the most part I'm over this one too.

3. Open Layouts
I kind of agree with this one.  Sometimes walls are a good thing.

4. Cliché Design 
I'm not really sure what this means.  Should I take the mini Eiffel Tower I have in my living room down? 

5. Cookie Cutter Kitchens
I was OVER stainless steel before it began.  I've never gotten this trend.   It's cold, it marks easily.  Not into this one. 

6. Chalkboard Overload
Agree with this one - chalkboards seem like a good idea, but then they just get chalked up and look messy.  Other than in a design magazine, I've never seen a real life one that looks good.

7. Food as Decor
Food as Decor is a Prop Stylist's key arsenal.   It adds color and depth and realism.  This will never go out of style.  Unless it's fake food as decor.  That's just weird.

8. Neon
What? Neon over already? I think it's just beginning! Who doesn't want a pop of neon.  In fact now that I think about it, it might be what my bedroom is missing.

9. Intentionally distressed Furniture
I'm definitely ready to see "Shabby Chic" movement go the way of the rotary telephone.  There is a thrift store near me that just takes beautiful old wood furniture and puts a crappy coat of white paint on it and calls it "vintage" ARGGGH.  Makes me so mad!!!

10. TVs on the Mantel
Um? Where are you supposed to put your TV?

What would you add to this list?


1 comment:

  1. Lena09:50

    I love this and agree with most. I would add the stupid Bus Scrolls you see everywhere. I don't get it and why do people just put random words together in white on black and call it a bus scroll?!

    ReplyDelete