November 22, 2010

Everyone needs more feathers, sequins and sparkle in their lives


I took a break from show prep this weekend to go see Pricilla, Queen of the Desert, THE MUSICAL! 

You know when the show opens with a giant disco ball dropping from the ceiling that its going to be a good time.  The costumes, the sets, the make up, each part of the show outdid the next.  I have to admit I was a little leery at first, I loved the movie.  And, although I can't say it was quite as good as the film, I definitely had a big smile on my face throughout the show.  

For those of you that know me, you now I'm a huge broadway/musical fan.  Seeing this show got me thinking of all the other musicals I've seen that were based on films.  I  thought I would share a few of the more ridiculous ones I've seen.

TOP 10 LIST of movies it's hard to believe they turned into stage show musicals - some with more success than others.  

1. Evil Dead 1 & 2 the musical - might be my all time favorite show.  Campy goodness! I've seen it three times! In both Toronto and New York (off broadway) Waiting for it to come to LA!
2. Whale Rider the musical - this review says it all!  And no the whales didn't sing (but yes there were giant whale puppets).  It was something to do one night it Auckland.
3. Kiss of the Spider Woman the musical - When it came out it didn't seem like appropriate musical material -- a man's fantasies in a prison cell?  But an amazing cast, some great songs and a few Tony's later it has become a classic.


4. Jane Eyre the musical -- if you don't believe me you can buy the CD of the broadway cast here


5. The full Monty the musical -- Was kind of cute show. However, I feel like this might have started the wave of:  "Oh hey, the movie made a lot of money, lets write some lame songs and build some over the tops sets, if you liked the movie, you will love the musical"  Yes, I'm talking to you: Legally Blonde the Musical!  
6. High Fidelity the musical - Didn't last too long on broadway, reviews were terrible, but maybe this will open a door to a whole new film turned musical genre. The Generation X musical. Breakfast club the musical? Clerks the musical? Reality bites the musical.  I would see any of those! 
7. Edward Scissorhands the musical  -- Not kidding. Saw it for my birthday a few years ago.  And well, it was more of a modern ballet than a musical per say.  One of those I think better left a movie.  
8. Hairspray the musical -- this confused me because they took a movie then turned into a musical and then turned the musical back into a movie.   I do have to admit,  I love all three versions. 

8. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels the musical - what surprises me the most about this one is not that it got made into a musical, but the fact that it's been so successful??!  A Tony? really? 

10. The Lord of the Rings, the musical - Now they've gone too far!!! I missed this one.  It premiered in Toronto but never made it to Broadway, for good reason I presume? To me if they can turn this into a musical, they can turn ANYTHING into a musical.
I think this list just proves nothing is sacred. Nothing is safe.  What's next? Spiderman the musical? Ha ha ha.

Oh!  




0 comments:

Post a Comment